Thursday, September 22, 2011

Christmas is coming.

I am currently thinking about Christmas.  Not just Christmas but more specifically presents and Christmas knitting.

I have already knitted the la-luz-eye-mask in Debbie Bliss Silk but I haven't sewn it up yet or added the insert.  It really is a quick knit - one day and you're done. This seems like a good one - quick, doesn't take up much time and feels luxurious. On the down side -it doesn't look very impressive though, so I'd have to do some kind of embellishment and these gifts are mostly going to the UK and these will be heavy to post.

Then I have completed the High Line Wrap  for a friend who loves red. She tends to get a new red scarf or accessory every year and hasn't complained yet.  She's an artsy kind of girl so something oversize fits in with her style pretty well.  Plus she has two dogs that need walking in all weather, so hoping I can't go wrong. I used Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed and it has worked out really well.  It's blocking at the moment. I'm not used to thick yarns and big needles but at least if flew off the needles.


My mum put in requests for gloves and a hat last year and also ended up with another set I made for myself to go to Japan.  She hasn't mentioned anything yet - but watch this space.

I'm also going to make some padded coat hangers for people.  One of my friends is getting married in March and so a beautiful hanger covered in silk and lace sounds like just the thing for her wedding dress to hang on.  I bought a deep maroon red, a blue and also lilac silk to make them.  I have looked everywhere for the plain wooden hangers to make them bu the hanger world has become far too sophisticated.  They all have trouser rails attached or are rather fancy plastic things.

So I ventured into Mustafa's a store which has everything and is open 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. Well, it has most thing you can think of and some you could never have imagined if you tried.  It is a place to go when you have sharpened your elbows and are ready for a sensory onslaught. Never, never go on a Sunday because all the foreign workers in Singapore go there and you literally queue to get down the aisles.  They sell jeans - hundreds and hundreds of pairs stacked shoulder high and you sort through them to find your size - you may never be seen again. Did they have simple wooden hangers?  No, they did not. So I bought the ones with trouser rails and pulled the rails off.  What I did find was some Thornton's Toffee, which is not available in Singapore.  And it was only 50 cents.  That's because  when I opened it it's actually Thornton's fudge. Now my husband prefers the toffee and the kids prefer the fudge - so the bag was right and the fudge was right - can I call this a win-win?

That's as far as my plan have got. Not too bad. But remember, there are only 93 sleeps til Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment