Thursday, October 13, 2011

What happened to fearless?

I have been knitting for a long time.  When I was a teenager I sewed my own clothes, including my school skirt, and knit my own jumpers.  I once went to a wool party (yes they existed) and bought some icelandic lopi wool.  By the end of the weekend my dad had a bottle green yoked sweater with grey and red colour work around the yoke and cuffs.  Just like that.

The LYS sold Phildar.  I thought nothing of taking on complex lace jumpers in lace patterns with unusual shaping.  I remember the beige and brown lace sweater knit in mohair, silk and something else.  It had a scoop neck and a rib collar.  It was beautiful.  I didn't consider that I couldn't do it. A lot of that Phildar yarn was very fine - never put me off.  Sometime things were a disaster - the pink and purple star yoked  sweater would have fit a yeti - I never worried about gauge.   But I wore the thing anyway, with pride.  (It looked amazing with the stripey dungarees I made and the red suede fringed ankle boots).

Now, I look at patterns and think that maybe I would never finish the colour work or lace jumper.  Or I question whether I have the skills.

May good things come with age - but becoming fearful is not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment